Have you ever heard about the enigmatic Yvonne Boismier Phillips? She was a Canadian art collector whose fortune and private life have long been a topic of fascination. There is no doubt that she lived an extraordinary life, but what exactly made her so mysterious? In this blog post, we will attempt to unveil the mystery behind her fortune. We will explore who she was, how she made her fortune, and what she did with it. So buckle up and let’s dive in!
Who Was Yvonne Boismier Phillips?
Yvonne Boismier Phillips was a Canadian art collector, born in 1920 in Ontario, Canada. She was raised in an affluent family, but little is known about her early life. After completing her education, Phillips worked as a nurse and later served in World War II as a nurse in the Royal Canadian Air Force. She was married twice, but both marriages ended in divorce. Despite little being known about her personal life, her unique approach to art collecting has made her a legendary figure in the Canadian art world.
How Did She Acquire Her Fortune?
Phillips made her fortune through her art collection. She began collecting after a chance encounter with the Group of Seven artist Lawren Harris in the 1950s. She had a keen eye for art and purchased works from various artists before they gained popularity. This foresight paid off, and she later sold a portion of her collection for a considerable profit. Her collection consisted of works by renowned Canadian artists such as Tom Thomson, Emily Carr, and Alex Colville. She was estimated to be worth over $50 million at the time of her death.
What Did She Do with Her Fortune?
Phillips was a private person and did not flaunt her wealth. She was known to be incredibly generous, however, and donated a significant portion of her fortune to various philanthropic causes. She established the Yvonne and Edmund T. R. King Medical Foundation and the Yvonne and Edmund T. R. King Endowment Fund to support medical research and health services. She also donated to various cultural institutions such as the National Gallery of Canada.
What Made Her Collection So Unique?
Phillips’ art collection was unique in that it focused solely on Canadian artists. She collected works from the Group of Seven, Emily Carr, and other Canadian artists. Her collection was not limited to paintings but also included sculptures, pottery, and other forms of art. Furthermore, her approach to art collecting was not purely financial; she was a passionate collector who appreciated and valued the cultural heritage of Canada.
What is the Significance of her Art Collection Today?
Today, Phillips’ art collection is considered to be one of the most important collections of Canadian art ever assembled by an individual. Her collection provided a significant contribution to the development of the Canadian art scene. The collection is now housed in the Yvonne and Edmund T. R. King Collection of Canadian Art, under the care of the Art Gallery of Ontario. Many of the pieces in the collection are now recognized as national treasures.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What was Yvonne Boismier Phillips’ net worth at the time of her death?
– The estimated value of her net worth was over $50 million.
2. What kind of art did Yvonne Boismier Phillips collect?
– Yvonne Boismier Phillips collected Canadian art, including works by the Group of Seven, Emily Carr, and other renowned Canadian artists.
3. What did Yvonne Boismier Phillips do with her fortune?
– She donated a significant portion of her fortune to philanthropic causes, including a medical foundation, an endowment fund, and various cultural institutions.
4. Why is Yvonne Boismier Phillips’ art collection important?
– Phillips’ art collection is significant because it provided a significant contribution to the development of the Canadian art scene and is now recognized as one of the most important collections of Canadian art ever assembled.
5. What institutions now house Yvonne Boismier Phillips’ art collection?
– The Yvonne and Edmund T. R. King Collection of Canadian Art is housed at the Art Gallery of Ontario.
6. Did Yvonne Boismier Phillips sell any of her art collection?
– Yes, she sold a portion of her collection for a considerable profit.
7. What was Yvonne Boismier Phillips’ approach to art collecting?
– Yvonne Boismier Phillips was a passionate collector who appreciated and valued the cultural heritage of Canada.
Yvonne Boismier Phillips was an extraordinary individual who lived an interesting life. Her story is a testament to the value of preserving cultural heritage and the importance of being generous to those in need. Today, her art collection is a reminder of her contributions to the Canadian art scene. We hope this blog post has provided some insight into the mystery behind her fortune and has helped you appreciate her legacy.